A Viking ship replica sits in Lake Michigan next to the USS Illinois, a “faux” warship made from bricks and cement, Columbian Exposition, 1893, Chicago.
Life starts all over again when it gets crisp in the fall. — Fitzgerald, The Great Gatsby
When we are in love, we love the grass,
And the barns, and the lightpoles,
And the small main streets abandoned all night.
"Love Poem" by Robert Bly.
From Stealing Sugar From the Castle: Selected and New Poems, 1950-2013. In stores now.
An amateur orchid grower works in the window of his greenhouse in Silver Spring, Maryland, April 1971.Photograph by Gordon Gahan, National Geographic
Explorer Robert E. Peary in sheepskin, 1914-15.Photograph by Joseph H. Bailey, National Geographic
Girls in summer attire hold cup, ribbons, and awards they’ve won in Washington D.C., 1923.
Photograph by Maynard Owen Williams, National Geographic
Can I have all of these dresses, stat?
• Some friends and I went on a malört crawl through Wicker Park and I wrote about it for Serious Drinks.
• For Serious Eats Chicago, I wrote about 9 crab dishes I love.
• For the national Serious Eats site, I went behind the scenes at Adluh Flour in Columbia, SC.
• I reviewed Parson’s Chicken & Fish for Time Out Chicago. Main takeaway: go to drink, not to eat.
• At Paper/Plates, I reviewed Tim Parks’ book Italian Ways, about train travel in Italy, I also baked Italian pistachio cookies.
• For Eater DC, I found 15 places to drink mezcal cocktails this summer.
• On the Check, Please! blog, I learned about Alabama BBQ, fell in love with the retro wedge salad, and rounded up everywhere to get cronuts in Chicago.